Hi, Everyone! Today we would like to share one of our favorite Christmas traditions with you – a Czech gingerbread cookie recipe! We both started making them with our moms as soon as we could reach the countertop. The gingerbread cookies are the first to be baked for Christmas. They need some time to acquire the right texture and taste. We love baking these cookies every year, because it fills our apartment with the most wonderful Christmas aroma!
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp warm honey
- 2 lightly beaten large eggs
- 1 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon dark Czech rum
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 egg white
- 1/3 cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine flour, spices, and baking soda. In your electric mixer bowl, cream together butter, eggs, sugar, rum and honey. Add honey, eggs, rum and zest and form a dough. Wrap in plastic and let rest at least 30 minutes in a fridge.
- Heat oven to 350F (180C) degrees. Roll dough on a floured surface and cut out your shapes and place them on a sheet pan. Bake 15-20 minutes or until light golden at the edges.
- When cookies are completely cool, decorate with icing. Mix the egg white with sugar and lemon juice until smooth and shiny. Put the icing in a small, but firm plastic bag. Cut off one corner, making a tiny opening for the glaze.
Let us know how much you like these lovely Czech cookies.
Do not feel like cooking yourself? No problem, we know a place where to get a home made delicious ginger breads in Prague! You will have to get a little bit lost on the edge of the Old Town and find Perníčkův sen (Gingerbread dream). It is lovely small, family owned store, packed with all kinds of ginger breads and little sweet presents. At Perníčkův sen you can also buy delicous souvernirs for your love onces at home! So let´s ginger it up:)
As in many European countries also in the Czech Republic we consider the end of April and the beginning of the May to be quite magical....
Easter in Czech Republic is likely to be different from anything that you have experienced at home. We have put together some Easter...